Monday, June 23, 2014

May Madness Part II

Our second half of May was pretty busy too! We flew back from California on May 12th and then we headed back up to Logan. During our last week in Logan we spent some time with friends, cleaned like crazy, and tried to prepare ourselves for our big move.

The morning of May 17, Petey and I had family pictures down in Payson with my side of the family. Later that day my parents threw us a 'going away' party. We had a lot of family show up! It was an extremely bittersweet day. We are so grateful for our family and friends and their endless support during this crazy process. Here are a few photos from our family photo shoot and from our 'going away' party:

The Newbold family, minus Elder Newbold!
 Once we got back to Logan on May 18th we had a BBQ with some friends AND we sold my clunker car in the same night. I've had my Ford Taurus since 2005 and my grandparents owned it prior to me. I had some good times in that car and spent countless hours in it driving to Payson and then back to Logan. It had over 208,000 miles on it and we sold it to a great Logan couple. We were so happy we sold it, we were starting to get desperate! And we were happy that it went to a couple that was in Logan, because lets face it...that car is old and probably shouldn't travel long distances. The following day, May 19th, we had the packers and movers show up at our apartment. Chevron paid for people to come pack and move all of our things to Texas! It was kind of awkward because Petey and I needed to be in the apartment while they packed up our things, but we just sat on the couch doing nothing while they worked hard. We felt really lazy but I'm so glad that we didn't have to pack everything! That was quite the stress reliever. The scene outside of our apartment that day was pretty funny. There was the 18-wheeler moving truck (we don't have near that much stuff but that is what the moving company uses), a van full of boxes and packing gear that the packers came up in, and another van which was for the men that built the crate for our television. Everything was all packed up and moved out of our apartment in about 3 hours. Later that night we met up with Brian and Megan (Petey's brother and his wife) for a last hoorah dinner and then I met up with some of my lovely friends for some dessert. The next morning we cleaned like crazy people and officially checked out of our apartment. Leaving Logan for the last time was weird!! I made Petey take me to Old Main on USU's campus so I could take some pictures. Old Main is one of my favorite buildings of all time and the building where I spent most of my college classes in. We also stopped at the Logan LDS Temple so I could get some pictures there. On our way down to Payson we stopped in Bountiful to see Petey's family. We had a nice dinner with Petey's mom, grandparents, an aunt and uncle, and some cousins. It was nice to see them!! Here are some pictures from that stretch of our May craziness. 
I love these ladies SO much!
Goodbye Aggie Village 23-F. You've been good to us!!
We spent 5 days in Payson before we headed for Texas. During those 5 days we spent a lot of time with family, watched my cousins baseball game, had a fire with s'mores in my parents backyard, went to Spring Lake and the boys fished while my mom and I fed the ducks, got amazing snow cones from Glacier Pass (best mainland snow cones I've ever had...but no comparison to Hawaii haha), we got brand newI-phone 5S cell phones YAY!!, went to a Salt Lake Bees game, visited my grandparents grave, and much more. I had such a wonderful last few days in Utah! Here are some pictures:
At the SLC Bees game.
Snow cones!
The night before we left I spent quite a while talking with my mama. Neither of us wanted to get ready for bed because we knew when we woke up in the morning that Petey and I would be leaving. I slept horrible that night!! I was nervous for the long drive and DREADING saying goodbye. But of course morning came too quickly and it was time to say goodbye and see you later. Saying goodbye to my parents was sooooooo hard!!!!!!!!! I had done pretty well at controlling my emotions until I hugged my parents and then the tears flowed. My parents both cried, and it kills me to see them cry. It just made me cry harder haha. Once we got on the road I cried on and off for the first 2 hours or so. Our first day of driving was really pretty since we drove down through Moab, into Colorado, and then into New Mexico. Our first night we stayed in Albuquerque. We went and ate at a really nice restaurant and then relaxed at the hotel. We drove almost 9 hours that day! I also made Petey drive me to see Walter White's house from 'Breaking Bad,' because lets be real....what else do you do for fun and entertainment in New Mexico?! It was fun seeing the house. The house is real with a family that has lived in it for 20+ years. They probably get annoyed of people coming by and taking pictures in front of it...but oh well. Day 2 of driving we drove from Albuquerque to Abilene, Texas. It was far less eventful then driving through Utah and Colorado. A whole lot of nothing. We had some crazy weather during our drive and the weather that night was absolutely insane! There were tornado watches, a severe thunderstorm, and an unreal lightning storm. Petey and I watched the lightning storm for a good 30+ minutes from the window of our hotel room. The lightning and torrential downpour lasted for over 4 hours. It was nuts!!! Day 3 of driving was a shortest distance, which meant we were only in the car for about 6 hours. YAY!! It rained like crazy during our drive, but we made it to Houston safely!! We stayed in a hotel our first night in Houston and the next morning the diesel showed up with all of our things. Once again Petey and I felt lazy while the lone truck driver hauled in ALL of our things. Then we got to work unpacking! Pictures from our wonderful days of driving:
 
The New Mexico sing. You can't really tell from this photo. 
The 'Breaking Bad' house!
Insane lightning!
Unpacking is so fun {sarcasm}
Our first few days in Houston weren't very fun. We had to do a lot of shopping, get our car inspected and registered in Texas, and get new Texas drivers licenses. And trust me.... going to any government building in Texas is torture and the lines are horrendously long. So awful!!!!!!! We did go to a Houston Astros baseball game for fun though! And it is sooooooo humid here. People told me that it was humid and disgusting in the summer, but actually being here and experiencing it is a whole different story. We don't want to go outside. It is a bummer because Houston has quite a bit to do outside...but we'll wait until it cools down (which wont be until October-ish) to do the outside things. Petey started at Chevron on June 2 and is really enjoying his new job! I think he has been a little overwhelmed, but that happens with all new jobs. It just takes some time to get used to your new job and get comfortable. I have an amazing hubby and I'm so proud of him!!!!!

Welp that was the summary of our May Madness Part II! 

No comments:

Post a Comment