Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Will You Marry Me?"

Hey peeps- this is the story of the night Petey and I got engaged :)

February 23, 2011

The evening of Feb. 23 my friend Laura was celebrating her birthday at Olive Garden, she invited Petey and I to attend the par-tay. The dinner was at 6:00pm, but Petey couldn't make it because he worked 5-8:30pm at the library.

My friend Alyssa had texted me in the afternoon and asked if I wanted to carpool to Laura's dinner. I'm ALWAYS up for carpooling, so of course I said yes. She offered to drive and so the plan was set. When Alyssa came to pick me up our friend Kathryn was with her too. When I got into the car the girls had asked me where my coats was and I told them I didn't want to bring it because we were just going to dinner and we wouldn't be outside for very long (so I thought!). I should have taken the hint and went back in to get my coat haha.

My roommate Bailey joined us for birthday dinner, but couldn't stay the whole time because she had a really important meeting she had to be to (wink wink). After about an hour at dinner I got a call from my sister-in-law Jennie...well actually I had missed her call and she had to call Alyssa to get a hold of me. Jennie told me that her and Tyler's car had broken down on the road in front of Old Main and they needed me to come help them as soon as I could. Instead of dropping me off at my apartment so I could get my car, Alyssa said that she could drive me straight to Old Main after to dinner to help. I had no idea what was actuallybgoing to happen...

On our way to Old Main I was telling Alyssa and Kathryn that it was weird that Ty & Jen's car had broken down because it was fairly new. Once we drove to where Tyler and Jennie were, they had their Explorer pulled off the the side of the road with the hood up (which made this set-up very believable). Once we had pulled over to talk to Ty & Jen, I noticed Bailey's (my roommate) car parked behind Ty & Jen's vehicle. I didn't think anything of it though because I just figured that her meeting was in Old Main.

Once we parked I was wondering how I was going to help fix the car because I don't know ANYTHING about cars. After a second of talking to Tyler & Jen, Jennie said "Who's that?" as she pointed in the distance towards the True Aggie 'A'. I replied with "a person"...because I had no idea who that dude was that was standing on top of the 'A'. Jen then said "Why don't you go over there?". THAT IS WHEN I FIGURED OUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING!!! I turned to Jennie and asked her what she was doing, she said "nothing" and then told me to get over there. That was when I really freaked out. As I started to walk away I yelled "I don't have a coat!!!" (for some reason I was way concerned that I didn't have a coat).

While in my freak-out-attack I did something dumb. Instead of walking through the pathway between the snow towards Petey, which was the way everyone had planned for me to go, I instead went all the way around walking on the sidewalk, petey had to rearrange the setup. When I was almost to the 'A' I noticed Bailey standing behind a tree with her video camera! She had filmed when Tyler proposed to Jennie, and they love having that moment on camera. So...she really didn't have a meeting she had to go to, she had to leave dinner early to help set up for the proposal!

Once I got over to the 'A' I noticed that there were a dozen pink roses, candles (the wind had blown all of them out :( ), and a pink box of temptation cupcakes! When I got close to Petey he helped me on top of the 'A'. We looked at each other for a second and then he handed me the pink box of cupcakes and told me to open my present. I was struggling to open it, so he helped me. Inside the cupcake box were 4 red velvet cupcakes (favorite!) and in the middle of the 4 cupcakes was the white ring box. He then got down on one knee, opened the ring box, and he asked me to MARRY HIM. I said YES and then we hugged and kissed! I was in shock! I knew he was going to propose to me soon, but I had NO IDEA, he was supposed to be at work! I had told Petey though that I wanted the proposal to be a surprise and it was. I love him :)

After I said YES, I could hear Tyler, Jennie, Alyssa, Kathryn, and Bailey cheering. They soon ran over to us and told us congratulations and the girls wanted to see my bling. I was shaking because of my shock/excitement, and also because I was freezing. I kept squealing because I was so happy!!

I used Jennie's phone to call my mom to tell her and my dad the good news, but they didn't answer! I then called my dad AND Tanner and neither of them answered either! My mom soon called back, but her and my dad could hardly hear because they were are the BYU men's basketball game. Her, my dad, and my Grandpa Saunders were at the game and they told us congrats and that they would call us back and get the whole story when they could hear. My dad already knew that Petey was proposing that night, because Petey had told him 4 days before when he asked my dad for his permission to marry me. My dad didn't tell my mom, so she had no idea what Petey's plans were for the night of Feb. 23 :)

After the phone call with my parents, Tyler and Jennie invited us all over to their apartment for hot chocolate. I could hardly sit still because I was so excited and I was texting everyone. My parents soon called back and I was able to tell them the whole story, and later I talked to my little bro and gave him all the deets. We all hung out at Ty & Jen's for a while and then we left. I thanked everyone for their help and support!!! I was/am so appreciative of what everyone involved did to help set up for the proposal!

After we left Petey and I went to Arby's to get some food because we were both staving! When we got to my apartment I showed my roommates my ring, told them the story, Petey and I ate our Good Mood Food, and then we both had a red velvet cupcake :) Then we officially changed our facebooks to 'engaged' :)

We got married June 10, 2011 in the Salt Lake City Temple. I'll write about that story next time!! But here are some pictures from the night of our engagement!



The cupcakes


The pink roses


My lovely engagement!
I got a wedding band too :) !!


After he 'popped' the question!! I said yes!
I've never become a True Aggie yet, but I
think getting engaged on the A will
suffice! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment